Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Be Magnified!

I have made You too small in my eyes
O Lord, forgive me;
I have believed in a lie
That You were unable to help me.
But now, O Lord, I see my wrong
Heal my heart and show Yourself strong;
And in my eyes and with my song
O Lord, be magnified
O Lord, be magnified.


"Be Magnified"
Words and music by Don Moen

I sometimes sing this song as I lead people in worship. But I have found that the lyrics are actually the cry of my own heart. It is much more than just leading others in the words and music, it is a passionate confession that flows from deep within me. There are too many times when I have believed the lie that God cannot or will not help me in my times of need. Singing this song encourages me to receive the truth and reject the lies that have kept me from fully entering into the glorious freedom that God has for me.
    It is not that God needs to be magnified. He is already the Supreme King of everything. But he needs to be magnified in my own heart. The simple truth is that I need to allow God to become much bigger in my life. As surely as a microscope causes the smallest of creatures to be easily seen by the eye of the student, my eyes need to be fully opened to the glorious magnificence and presence of God Almighty.
    So I say, "O Lord, forgive me!" It is absolutely true that I have made him much too small in my life. You see, he is not just a part of my life, he IS my life. Without his live, grace, and mercy, I would surely be doomed to hell. Without his precious Holy Spirit within me, I would be the most depraved and wicked of sinners. Yet he has blessed me. He has shown himself strong in my life. He has been faithful when I have been unfaithful. He has continued to reveal the truth even though I have trusted and believed in lies.  So I cry out, "God, be magnified in my life!"
    Surely there is healing in the arms of God. For those of us who have made him too small, his forgiveness is big enough. For those who have believed lies, his truth will set us free. When we run out of words to tell him just how great he is, the only thing left to do is declare: "Be magnified o God!" It is for our benefit that he is magnified. It is for our good that we praise him. God's desire is to be the only thing that really matters in our lives. When we give him that place, he is truly our Lord. This is all he asks in return for the great redemption, forgiveness, grace and blessing he has given us. And so we say, "BE MAGNIFIED, O LORD!"


No comments:

Post a Comment