Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Confession is Good for the Soul

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
1 John 1:9 (KJV) 


Maybe it's a good reminder, maybe it's for us to remember our spiritual roots, but having a clear understanding of this verse is vital to all of us. There are many Christians who have confessed their sins before God and received the free gift of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ. In fact, all of us who bear the name of Christ have done this. But many do not make a practice of confessing sin before God. Some may think that because we have the forgiveness of sin that was given at salvation, there is no need for further action. But I believe that confession of sin should be a normal and consistent part of the Christian life. 
    I grew up in a church that believed in living a holy life. Unfortunately, there was a high degree of legalism required to live the way they wanted us all to live. So my relationship with God was defined by what I couldn't do rather than the freedom I have in Christ. I remember the question being asked, "If Jesus were to come back and you were in a theater watching a movie, do you think he would come in there and get you?" Of course the legalistic answer to this question is no. We wouldn't want to be doing something wrong when Jesus comes back. But the freedom we have in Christ reverses the answer. Because we have been saved from sin and given right-standing with God, he certainly would come into that theater and get us! So I do not preach a legalistic righteousness that comes from human effort, but there is a great need in our lives to remain as close to God as possible. 
    There is only one thing that separates us from God, sin. Nothing else has any power to do that. God is purely holy and he cannot have any fellowship with sin. So it is important for us to eliminate sin from our lives in favor of our relationship with God. When John the apostle wrote these words, he wrote them to Christians. He was emphasizing the importance of confession and forgiveness. Since we continue to sin, even though we are Christians, we must practice confession. Personally, I don't want to have anything between God and me. He has never changed his position or his love for me, but I have failed him many times. He hasn't changed his relationship to me, but I have separated myself from him because of sin. So I want to eliminate anything that may hinder my prayers. I want to remove anything that may separate me from God. So I practice confession regularly. And every time I confess sin, God faithfully forgives me and cleanses my life. 
    Confession and repentance should be regular parts of a growing relationship with God. We should practice it daily. Through this, we defeat sin with the help of the Holy Spirit and the forgiveness offered by God. It is true that confession is good for the soul, for it leads us to a closer relationship with God and frees us from the entanglement of sin. Think about it. When was the last time you confessed sin to God? If it has been awhile, do it. If it is a regular part of your life, continue to walk in this important truth. We are to live as he lived and the only way to do that is to be righteous. The only way to be righteous is to take the righteousness of Christ. Every time we confess, he forgives, and another dark area of our lives is exposed to his light. Then there is more of Christ's righteousness and less of our weakness. Let's practice confession. It is good for our souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment