Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Bringing an Offering

"Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God."
Acts 10:4

An angel of God came to Cornelius, a God-fearing man who lived in Caesarea. Although he feared God, he was not yet a Christian. The faith had not yet been presented to the gentile world. But God sent an angel to him because his intent was to bring the victory of Christ to the gentiles as well as the Jews. Cornelius and his household were chosen to receive the message first. The angel told him that his prayers were heard and that his gifts to the poor had been recognized by God. I think these two things have a special place in God's heart.
    Of course, we all know that we are called to pray. I don't think God saw Cornelius because he prayed, I think it was because he "prayed to God regularly." (Acts 10:2). He was consistent. It was a part of his daily routine. His lifestyle included prayer as an important part of everything he did. We can learn a lesson from Cornelius. Before he even had the assurance of salvation, he prayed consistently. Do we pray regularly? Is a conversation with God, part of our lives throughout the day? We should learn to pray consistently and persistently.
    Cornelius was generous. He gave to the poor. Jesus told us that we would always have the poor with us. Although this is a sad reality, it remains true today. A glorious part of the message of Christ is the clear call for us to reach out to the poor. There are spiritual blessings that flow through the simple gift of a lunch, or a warm blanket, or shelter. We must not forget to care for those who are in need of basic human necessities. We don't have to preach to them or give them a tract about the four spiritual laws. The act of kindness is God's hand extended to them, and they will know it. Thousands have come to Christ as a result of people like you and me, who selfishly gave to the poor.
    Touching the poor is a central theme in the message of Christ. In Matthew 25, Jesus taught about a judgement in which he will separate 'the sheep and the goats.' This is a judgement of nations. In that time, he will not talk about how many had spiritual gifts or went to church regularly. He will simply say: "I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me." (Matthew 25:35&36). Sobering, isn't it? What is really important? What touches the heart of God? I think Cornelius knew...Do we?

No comments:

Post a Comment