Friday, November 9, 2012

O My Soul!

"But I have stilled and quieted my soul; like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me."
Psalm 131:2

" Praise the LORD, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name."
Psalm 103:1

The Psalmists often talked about the soul. If you read carefully, you will see that they were always talking to their souls, commanding them to do certain things: Be still, be quiet, praise the Lord, don't be downcast. This is because we have control over our souls. The soul is our mind, will, and emotions. We have authority to tell our souls to act appropriately to the situation. In other words, we make choices to guide our souls into relationship with God.
    I am learning to quiet my soul in the presence of the Lord. When I pray, I have the mentality that I should be speaking. I think, "If I am not talking, I'm not praying." But this could not be further from the truth. Prayer is fellowship, communion, and conversation with God. I find myself more and more, being quiet and allowing God to simply minister to me through his love, peace and blessing. Some may call this meditation. Whatever it is called, the benefit of quieting one's soul before God is beyond measure. For me, I would much rather hear from God and be touched by him than to speak a thousand words of requests. I know it's important to lay my requests before him, but then I must be quiet and receive from God.
    I am also learning that I must command my soul to praise the Lord. There is nothing more valuable than this. As I praise him, I am strengthened and encouraged. Not only is God exalted through my praise, but my soul is built up. I find myself saying, "Bless the Lord, O my soul!" I say it often, even in the midst of a busy day. It is a simple way that I have found to praise God and encourage my soul at the same time. It's a simple thing, but when words fail me, it is more than enough to express my praise to God.
    It's interesting to me that the further I grow in relationship with God, and the older I get, things get much more simple. I have always thought it was complex, but I am as a child and He is my Father. I don't need to know much on my own, just receive what he gives me. I continue to be amazed that God's kingdom works completely opposite of the world. The world tells me I must know more to grow. God tells me I must know little and he will bring the spiritual growth. How refreshing, how stress-relieving is the thought. "Bless the Lord O my soul! Be quiet and receive his blessing."


No comments:

Post a Comment