Monday, September 17, 2012

The Blessing of Blessing

"Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing."
1 Peter 3:9

Recently I was speaking at a church in another state. I did not know any of the people there except for the pastor and friend who had invited me. After the meeting, a man approached me to talk about what I had shared and to tell me what God had been speaking to him. At the end of the conversation, he spoke a powerful blessing over me. It was so strong that I heard the Holy Spirit say, "Listen to this." It was as if God was speaking audibly to me through this man. I could feel the chills in my body from being in the presence of the Lord.
    Today, I'm thinking about the idea of blessing. In the Old Testament and throughout Jewish culture, blessing was very important. When a father was near death, they would always bless their sons and family. They actually spoke words of blessing over them. In the New Testament, the apostles always made sure they spoke blessing over those they visited. They often spoke of being refreshed themselves by those they had visited. This means that they too had received blessing.
    We know that it is God who blesses. Everything that is good comes from him. But while we are here on the earth, words of blessing often come from our brothers and sisters in Christ. I was refreshed in my spirit because of the things this man spoke over me. It settled like the calm of the morning dew on a cool morning. It is difficult to express how much receiving a word of blessing touches one's heart, but it does. Not only is the recipient blessed and refreshed, but the one who speaks the blessing is also refreshed by the Holy Spirit.
    We are to speak blessing, not curses. We are called to build up others in the faith, not to insult them. The verse above tells us that we are called to repay insults and evil with blessing. Speaking a blessing will neutralize the insult and push back evil. In return, God promises to bless us. How often do we pay back insults with insults? It is an easy habit to form and doing this conforms to the ways of the world. But when we speak blessing, something supernatural happens. Who knows but that one to whom you speak a blessing will come to the saving grace of Jesus. Our own church families can and will be blessed by God as we develop an atmosphere of blessing. When we choose to bless others, it is infectious. Soon a new culture of blessing and grace emerges. This is what God has always intended for his people. Because He blesses us, we choose to bless others. Speak words of blessing over those you come in contact with. Allow the Holy Spirit to use you to bless others. The joy of the Lord will rest on us and we will experience the blessing of blessing.


No comments:

Post a Comment