Friday, August 3, 2012

Sweet Comfort

"After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. Therefore encourage each other with these words." 
1 Thessalonians 4:17&18 


I remember being in a room with a group of leaders. We were praying in preparation for the church service that day. As we stood in a circle, I heard the voice of the Holy Spirit speak to me. It was so strong that I felt it throughout my whole being. He said, "I am coming soon. Be reminded of this and receive comfort." So I spoke those words out loud. Immediately there was an unexplainable peace that filled the room. It settled on every person. We cried, praised God, and left, having been completely comforted by the words. 
    Somehow over the past several years, we have lost the importance of being comforted by these words.. We don't often talk about the fact that Jesus is coming back. In the 1970s and 1980s, it seemed as if every Christian song talked about the coming of the Lord. But then it waned and rarely do we hear it these days. But Paul wrote these words because they are vitally important. As we go through the rigors of life, we need to constantly remember that we are doing it for a reason: Jesus is coming! In the days of the New Testament, the believers would say, "Maranatha! Even so, come quickly, Lord!" They took comfort in this truth even though they would not see it in their lifetimes. 
    My perspective about the coming of the Lord has changed. I used to think of it as a divine rescue. I thought that he would come and deliver me out of this messy world so that I could escape the tribulations here. But now I see it this way: Jesus is coming back to establish his kingdom on the earth. He isn't coming just to rescue me, he is coming to give me the fulfillment of his promise. He is coming to establish his kingdom right here on earth. All will see the glory of God. This is something to be excited about. In this we can find true comfort. 
    Instead of wishing for a rescue, what if we began to long for his return because with it comes the physical manifestation of his kingdom? It is there that we will rule and reign with Christ. It is there that we will find peace forever. It is truly heaven on earth. All who have gone before us, all who are already in heaven look forward to this time with great expectation. So should we. It is the fulfillment of all we have hoped for, dreamed of, and lived expecting. Ah, the sweet comfort of the thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment